Most websites have a sidebar on most pages (not all sites have this sidebar on the home page). You can turn off (omit) the sidebar on any page by choosing “Full Width Layout” in Edit View.
The content in the sidebar is repeated on all pages that have a sidebar. You can control the content of your sidebar under “Appearance —> Widgets.”
Most websites only use one sidebar — Primary Sidebar. If your site has two sidebars, the other sidebar is the Secondary Sidebar.
Any Widget you put in the Primary or Secondary Sidebar widget area will appear in the primary and secondary sidebars on all pages that have sidebars.
Instructions how to customize your widget areas »
Note! For themes using Parabola, the Widget areas are called Left and Right Sidebar instead.
Most WordPress websites have a custom home page. This means that the home page isn’t just a regular page like the secondary pages on your website. Instead, the home page is like the front page of a newspaper — it features snippets of content from selected pages or posts and links to the rest of the page.
When we designed your website, we selected what pages or posts should be featured on your home page together with you. However, you can change what pages or posts are to be featured on the home page.
Different website themes have different setup for the home page so there is no “one description fits all” for how to change your website’s home page. In order to change your home page, you first need to see what theme your website is built with. What theme is my website is using? »
Websites using the Genesis framework (StudioPress Themes) »
Websites using the Parabola theme »
Websites using ElegantThemes themes »
To decide what theme your website is using:
- Go to “Appearance —> Themes” and find what theme is the “Active” theme (it should be the theme that’s listed first in your themes window.
- Hover over the Active theme and click “Theme Details”
- In the Theme’s details you can see what the name of the active theme is and what theme it’s based on. In this sample below the theme’s name is “Flour Girl Wedding Cakes” and it’s based on (or a “Child theme” of) the theme “Parabola”
- When you know what theme your site is using, you can find specific information on your theme and how to customize it on the theme developer’s own website. There is usually a link to the theme’s website if you view Theme Details for the main theme, in this case “Parabola” (hover over the Parabola icon instead and see the details).
The content on your home page is controlled in “Appearance —> xxx Theme Options.” (xxx is replaced by your specific theme’s name).
The settings for the home page can be found under the “General Settings” menu, under the “Homepage” tab.
You should not change any settings unless you have an understanding of what you are doing. There is a link to support documents for your specific theme under the “Support Docs” menu. Use this documentation and its tutorials to learn how to change any of the theme’s settings.
The content on your home page is controlled in “Appearance —> Parabola Settings.”
It is strongly recommended that you export your Parabola settings before you change any of the settings in this panel. That way you can import your previously saved settings again if you don’t like your new settings.
The settings for the home page can be found under the “Presentation Page” tab.
You should not change these settings unless you have an understanding of what you are doing. There are FAQs on the theme developer’s website that you can use if you want to familiarize yourself with this panel before changing any settings.
Most sites’ home pages are divided into “Widget areas.” Widgets and Widget areas are found under “Appearance —> Widgets.”
There are numerous widgets that you can put into the widget areas to achieve a certain look or functionality of your home page.
Home page view (click for larger view):
Corresponding widget areas (Appearance —> Widgets) (click for larger view):
The home page in the Centric Theme is using pages or posts for most of its home page areas. In order to change the content in the home page’s area for a specific page, please do the following:
- Scroll to the home page area you want to edit and click the link button to take you to the page in question.
- When you are on the correct page, click the “edit page” link or button in the site’s header bar.
- In “Page Edit” view, scroll down to the “Excerpt” area (if you don’t see the “Excerpt” area, follow instructions here to make it visible).
- Edit the text in the “Excerpt” area. For more instructions about Excerpts, please click here.
- Click “Update” in the upper right corner of your Page Edit window.
- Your edits are now published to the home page.
Note. If you need to change which page is displayed in an area on the home page, you need to log in to your WordPress site with Admin login. Please contact your web developer for this login if you don’t have it.
For Centric theme specific instructions, please click here.